Dr. Janet Hatcher Rice is an author, lecturer and laser enthusiast who practices Cosmetic and Spa Dentistry in Bristol, Tennessee. She incorporated laser technology into her practice in 1993, and has lectured on lasers for the American Dental Association, the Academy of General Dentistry, the Texas Dental Association, the Yankee Dental meeting and many more. Dr. Rice is a 1985 graduate of the Medical College of Virginia. In 1999, she received the Leon Goldman Award of Clinical Excellence from the Academy of Laser Dentistry and became their first female President in 2004. Dr. Rice also holds a RDH degree from ETSU and practiced dental hygiene from 1977 to 1985.
Dr. Rice graduated in 1985 with a Doctor of Dental Surgery degree from the Medical College of Virginia. After 11 years in group practice, she established her solo practice in 1996 and brought her unique perspective to dentistry by incorporating laser technology into an boutique-like cosmetic practice setting.
Professional affiliations include membership in the America Dental Association, Academy of General Dentistry, American Association of Women Dentists, and the Academy of Laser Dentistry. She holds honorary fellowships from the American and International College of Dentists, and received her Fellowship from The Academy of General Dentistry in 2013. Dr. Rice is a past president of the American Association of Women Dentists and the Academy of Laser Dentistry.
Dr. Rice started her dental laser education in 1992, and purchased her first laser in 1993. She received her Category III Laser Certification "Mastership Status" from the University of California, San Francisco in 1994. In the fall of 1998, she attended the first Laser Dentistry Education Training Course and received a Category IV "Instructor Training" Certificate. She writes numerous articles for publications on lasers in dentistry, as well as lectures on lasers both nationally, and internationally.
She was awarded the Academy of Laser Denisty's "Leon Goldman Award" for Clinical Excellence in 1999 and was nominated for the Tennessee Academy of General Dentistry's Dentist of the Year in 2002.
Dr. Rice lives on a 100-acre horse farm with her husband, Dr. John W. Rice, three dogs and two cats. Her hobbies include reading, gardening and hiking, as well as wild herb gathering. She and her husband are members of the Appalachian Chapter of the Antique Automobile Club of America.
• Virginia Polytechnic Institute, Blacksburg, VA
• East Tennessee State University, Johnson City, TN
• University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN
• Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA
• Fellowship in the American College of Dentists
• Mastership Status in the Academy of Laser Dentistry
• Fellowship in the International College of Dentists
• Academy of General Dentistry
• American Association of Women Dentists
• Academy of Laser Dentistry
• American Dental Association
• Tennessee Dental Association
Positions Held in Professional Associations
• 2005-2006 President, Academy of Laser Dentistry
• 1997-2001 Council Member ADA Council on Communications
• 1996-1997 President, American Association of Women Dentists
• 1992-1993 President, Bristol Morning Rotary Club